Tuesday, August 5, 2008

When well-rested becomes restless

I'm turning a corner that I'm not sure I want to turn.

I quit my job two months ago for many reasons: stress, burnout, lousy work situation, lack of work/life balance, insomnia, floundering marriage, bratty kids, general unhappiness, you choose.

For the past two months, I've been pausing, taking a breather, getting my head and my home back in order. I've gone on vacation, taken day trips with the kids, gone to the beach, weeded the garden, and cleaned the house. I've started to be a professional stay-at-home mom, which means that I've started volunteering.

Now, after more than 60 restful nights, I'm looking at the corner and trying to see around it. I feel restless and I want to know what's next. I've updated my resume and have started to look at job boards. I am talking to recruiters. I think I might be ready to jump back in--but this time, it's going to be different.

This time, I will be patient, because I want the right role. It needs to be a flexible, maybe part-time, gig that allows me to use my brain and my experience. A job that ends when I turn off the computer at the end of the day. Something that energizes me, instead of draining my energy, and doesn't keep me tossing and turning all night. Something that doesn't pull me apart.

Does it exist? Or will I have to create it for myself?

No comments: